Thoughts and Quotes: The advantage of being 80 years old is that one has many people to love. Jean Renoir
Wash asparagus, remove tough ends (about 2 inches), cut in half, and place in a large bowl.
Wash yellow squash and zucchini, cut into thin slices (1/8”), add to asparagus.
Add salt, pepper, dried oregano, and garlic to the vegetables and toss.
Melt butter in a large skillet; add vegetables. Cook and stir constantly until vegetables are tender but not mushy.
The camera distorted the color; it looks better than this.
Sometimes you just need to add some bling.
And I did eat my corned beef and cabbage when experimenting with corned beef soup last week.
And I find that to be true. The problem is that when you're eighty, chances are that many of your loved ones are as old as you are, and you start losing them. So my advice is to always be on the lookout for new people to love and make sure that some of them are much younger than you are.
And who is Jean Renoir? I had to know. If you don't know either, click HERE.
Tasting: The Very Exclusive Cooking Club met at Mim's on Monday.
VERY EXCLUSIVE COOKING CLUB
March 12, 2018, at Mim’s
THE TABLE
THE MENU
Chopped Salad
Poppy Seed Dressing
Swedish Meatballs
Noodles with Meatball Gravy
Asparagus-Squash Medley
Sister Shubert Rolls
Lemon-Orange Pound Cake
Vanilla Ice Cream
Iced Tea Coffee
THE FOOD
THE PARTY FAVORS
Gouda Cheese, Orange-Fig Spread, Lavender Soap
THE RECIPES
ASPARAGUS-SQUASH MEDLEY
1/2 lb. asparagus
1 medium yellow squash
1 medium zucchini
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp garlic powder or 4 cloves of garlic chopped fine
1 Tbs butter
1 medium yellow squash
1 medium zucchini
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp garlic powder or 4 cloves of garlic chopped fine
1 Tbs butter
Wash asparagus, remove tough ends (about 2 inches), cut in half, and place in a large bowl.
Wash yellow squash and zucchini, cut into thin slices (1/8”), add to asparagus.
Add salt, pepper, dried oregano, and garlic to the vegetables and toss.
Melt butter in a large skillet; add vegetables. Cook and stir constantly until vegetables are tender but not mushy.
CHOPPED SALAD WITH POPPY SEED DRESSING
1 pkg of your favorite chopped salad mix
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground dry mustard
1 tsp grated onion
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp poppy seeds
Serve desired amount of salad mix.
Mix dressing ingredients in a blender or shaker – serve on the side.
The Lemon-Orange Pound Cake can be found HERE.
Tasting: Lots of tasting this week. Here's my soup of the week. Simple yet delicious.
CORN COMFORT SOUP
1 15-oz can cream style corn
1 15-oz can whole kernel corn, drained
2 cups milk (preferably whole milk 4%)
4 Tbs (1/2 stick) butter
Salt and pepper
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled for topping, optional
Combine all but bacon in a medium saucepan.
Heat to boiling; ladle into bowls.
Sprinkle with bacon bits (optional).
Note: Crudites make a nice accompaniment as this is a very rich soup.
Note: Crudites make a nice accompaniment as this is a very rich soup.
The salad of the week:
MASSAGED KALE SALAD
Sally
1 bunch of kale
Juice of 1 lemon
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 unpeeled apple, diced
2 Tbs light honey
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
Wash kale well and pat dry. Remove stems and discard. Tear leaves into small pieces and place in a large salad bowl.
Mix together lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Pour over kale.
Using both hands, firmly squeeze and massage the kale for 30 seconds to tenderize. Messy hands, but worth it.
Add apple and honey; toss well. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
Note 1: Buy prewashed and prepared kale in a bag for convenience.
Note 2: If you don’t care for the robust taste and texture of kale, use half kale and half spinach or lettuce.
Muffin Tin Monday recipe: of the week:
ORANGE MUFFINS
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup chopped pecans
Zest of 1 orange
Topping
Juice of 1 orange (you won’t need all of it)
Sugar for sprinkling
Heat oven to 375°F.
In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar.
Beat in the eggs and buttermilk.
Add the baking soda to the flour and stir in just until moistened.
Fold in pecans and orange zest.
Pour into paper-lined muffin cups (15-18).
Bake 18-20 minutes. While hot, brush with orange juice and sprinkle with sugar.
Cool 5 minutes before removing.
Note: You may substitute 1 cup of plain yogurt for the buttermilk, if desired.
Note: You may substitute 1 cup of plain yogurt for the buttermilk, if desired.
Tissue Box Cards: Finally, I'm up to date. I made this card, forgetting I'd used this same tissue box last week, so I still needed one for this week, and the four I was behind.
This is the one I meant to make.
Sometimes you just need to add some bling.
Tips: Listen up Cardmakers. I learned this from Joey. The snowman already had a plaid scarf, and I wanted to color it to blend with the card. Tricky coloring to get the tan evenly spread, so I stamped it again on tan paper (paper, not cardstock), colored the reddish lines, went over the black part with a ballpoint pen, cut out the scarves and hats and glued them to the white snowmen.
Tissue boxes aren't the only things I recycle. This is the wrapping paper from Bev's gift.
I used it to make her thank you card.
And this base was an Easter card which didn't work out, so I turned it into a thank you card.
Thank You: For my continuing birthday calls, cards, and gifts.
From Cardmaker Bette' - if it's purple or butterflies, you know it's from Bette'.
And a new baking dish from Bev
Tidying: If you're wondering what happened to my clearing out goals, I stopped taking photos when clearing out socks, gloves, scarves, and sweaters. On top of clearing out placemats, I was up to June with my discards. Now with the birthday gifts and these fun pedestals I bought for myself (see the Muffin Tin Monday photo) -
And the new stamps I bought on Clearance -
plus the two Joey gave me, I think it's time to go back to my weekly schedule.
Thank you also to Cardmaker Jean for this adorable St. Patrick's Day card. I ran out of time and didn't make even one card. I also got two of the cutest ecards. I'd love to share the one Linda sent with a note that I could put it on my blog as my St. Patrick's Day table, but I don't want to be sued for breaking copyright laws. The table had a teapot set covered in shamrocks and a full Irish breakfast.
And I did eat my corned beef and cabbage when experimenting with corned beef soup last week.
The Pepper and Pals Report: I noticed that Pepper didn't eat much of his breakfast, and in the late afternoon, he started drooling. I couldn't get him in to see his regular vet for several days, as one vet was on vacation, but I could get an appointment for the next day at another vet I've used.
He didn't eat his dinner and started drooling more, so I was eager to get him in right away. She did a physical exam - no temperature, no problems except a small ulceration in his mouth. She took a blood sample - no problems. She gave him some fluids, a shot of antibiotics and a shot of painkiller. We left with $214 less money and two shaved places on Pepper - one under his chin and one on his leg where she took the blood sample.
Thirty minutes after we got home, he went over and started chowing down on his wet food. I guess the sore was really hurting him, and that was all that was wrong. The next day he was back to his old Bad Boy ways, trapping Stormy under the loveseat in my bedroom.
Of course, when I walked in, it was "Hi, Aunt Patsy. How's it going? No, I wasn't doing anything wrong".
Tidbits: Friend Barbara sent me a list of Ten Additional Commandments which I feel are worth sharing.
1. Prayer is not a "spare wheel" that you pull out when in trouble, but a "steering wheel" that directs the right path throughout.
2. So why is a car's windshield so large and the rear view mirror so small? Because our past is not as important as our future. So look ahead and move on.
3. Friendship is like a book. It takes a few seconds to burn, but it takes years to write.
4. All things in life are temporary. If it's going well, enjoy it - it won't last long. If it's going badly, don't worry - that won't last long either.
5. Old friends are gold! New friends are diamond! If you get a diamond, don't forget the gold, because to hold a diamond, you always need a base of gold.
6. Often when we lose hope and think this is the end of the road, God smiles from above and says, "Relax, Sweetheart, it's just a bend, not the end!"
7. When God solves your problems, you have faith in His abilities; when God doesn't solve your problems, He has faith in your abilities.
8. A blind person asked St. Anthony, "Can there be anything worse than losing your eyesight?" And St. Anthony replied, "Yes, losing your vision!"
9. When you pray for others, God listens to you and blesses them. Sometime when you are safe and happy, remember that someone has prayed for you.
10. Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles; it takes away today's peace.
Don't you love these? I think 7 is my favorite.
So I bid you adieu for now, wishing you warm sunny weather, lots of blooming flowers, safe travels, and good health.
1. Prayer is not a "spare wheel" that you pull out when in trouble, but a "steering wheel" that directs the right path throughout.
2. So why is a car's windshield so large and the rear view mirror so small? Because our past is not as important as our future. So look ahead and move on.
3. Friendship is like a book. It takes a few seconds to burn, but it takes years to write.
4. All things in life are temporary. If it's going well, enjoy it - it won't last long. If it's going badly, don't worry - that won't last long either.
5. Old friends are gold! New friends are diamond! If you get a diamond, don't forget the gold, because to hold a diamond, you always need a base of gold.
6. Often when we lose hope and think this is the end of the road, God smiles from above and says, "Relax, Sweetheart, it's just a bend, not the end!"
7. When God solves your problems, you have faith in His abilities; when God doesn't solve your problems, He has faith in your abilities.
8. A blind person asked St. Anthony, "Can there be anything worse than losing your eyesight?" And St. Anthony replied, "Yes, losing your vision!"
9. When you pray for others, God listens to you and blesses them. Sometime when you are safe and happy, remember that someone has prayed for you.
10. Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles; it takes away today's peace.
Don't you love these? I think 7 is my favorite.
So I bid you adieu for now, wishing you warm sunny weather, lots of blooming flowers, safe travels, and good health.
MAKE SOME GREAT MEMORIES
GET A COD SANDWICH AT WENDY'S BEFORE THEY'RE GONE
AND THAT MOCHA FRAPPACCINO
CHECK OUT www.1000LifeHacks.com
BUY AN EASTER BONNET
THANK YOU FOR SHARING MY LIFE

0 Yorumlar