Foreign Film from Spain - Spanish Title: El OrfanatoLanguage: Spanish [with English Subtitles]
Genre - Thriller/MysteryYear Released - 2007
Running Time - 105 minutes
Directed by Juan Antonio Bayona (who is going to be directing the upcoming film Hater, based on David Moody's novel)
Written by Sergio G. Sanchez
Cast Includes:
Belen Rueda as Laura (the mother)
Roger Princep as Simon (the son)
Fernando Cayo as Carlos (the father)
Rating: 5 Skulls
Plot Summary:
With fond memories of the seaside orphanage where she was raised, Laura persuades her husband to help her revamp it as a facility for disabled children. But once they move in, their son Simon begins to exhibit dark and disturbing behaviour.
As Laura tries to understand Simon's increasingly malevolent actions, she becomes drawn into the house's terrifying secrets.
Presented by Guillermo del Toro [Pan's Labyrinth, Blade 2, the Hellboy films, and the upcoming Hobbit films!] this film tells a tale of love and a story of horror [as the tagline for the film so elegantly puts it]

It has been rumored that Bayona may direct the film Eclipse [part 3 of the Twilight Saga] I do not see this happening, as he has currently received the rights to direct Hater - due in 2010 - but if things change, Bayona would be a perfect choice for Eclipse, what with the Antediluvians [I forget their name] in Italy and all [for those who have read the books, then you know what I am referring to]
Anyway, Bayona would be a perfect choice because of the fact of his great directing - The Orphanage is beautifully shot and very atmospheric. Bayona utilizes the scenery, etc all around to create an amazing atmosphere, which would work perfectly for Eclipse.

The Good Shepherd Orphanage
Whoa, I totally lost my train of thought there - that works out though, as I really shouldn't tell you too much about this movie.
Just know that it is not horror [per say] though it is horrific in the fact of a mother & father losing their child. You see, Simon is adopted and plays with imaginary/invisible friends, but they may not be so imaginary after all. After one of his 'friends' tells Simon that he is adopted [something his parents were waiting to tell him, once he was a little older, as he is only 7 years old] Simon gets into an argument with his mother and runs off [the circumstances around all of this are actually pretty creepy]

Anyway, after Simon runs off, he cannot be found, and therein lies the mystery of the film - What happened to Simon?
There is so much more to this film than I am telling - this is one of those films where it's all about the story, and it is awesome!
[for those who know me, then you know that I adore Pan's Labyrinth - I thought that it was one of 2006's best films! The Orphanage is just as good, if not better!]
Here's the trailer:
I highly recommend this film!
*For those of you with Netflix, it is currently available to watch Instantly!
I should also tell you that, once again, we Americans think that we should re-make this film. What a terrible idea! It is perfect as it is! So, see this version before it becomes tarnished by a senseless re-make.
Jason


0 Yorumlar